13 October 2008

prayer.

Sometimes we intellectually know something about God. "Sunday school answers" easily come to mind when asked to describe His character: He's good, faithful, loving, patient, etc.

But there comes a certain point in each of our walks where we must step beyond intellectual [head] knowledge, and truly know by experience that these common descriptions of His character are, in fact, true. Basically, we may know every fact about God, and still not truly know Him or His character. I can know everything about somebody, but until I develop some form of relationship or friendship with them, I cannot truly say I know them. So it is with God. I may "know" endless things about Him, but He calls me to Know Him.

Therefore, when I say that God is our Provider, our Healer, and the Hearer of our prayers, my statement is verified when He proves Himself to be so. And this week, He has. He does hear our prayers, and He does answer in His faithfulness.

Example 1: We prayed for a student's father to be healed of cancer for several weeks before his test results came. We trusted that whether or not the Lord healed him, He would answer our prayers in the right way, and provide for the family. The answer? No cancer.
Example 2: We prayed for another student to be able to fly home for Christmas, and to find a reasonably priced ticket. Simple request, maybe "too simple" in the eyes of many; nevertheless, we prayed it. The answer? She has a ticket.
Example 3: We prayed that the Lord would provide money for a member of our Vienna outreach team, after an unexpected bill came up, and left her without sufficient funds. The answer? After church on Sunday a friend came up to me to say hi, and as she left, put money in my hand with the simple explanation that it was for our outreach. How much? Exactly the amount we needed.

So, I can say that the Lord answers prayer until I'm blue in the face; but when I actually stop saying that, and start praying and trusting that He'll answer, it gives Him the room to do so. I know that He answers prayer. We serve the Living God! And He loves to take care of His children! As we know Him, let us also trust Him to be faithful, and praise Him when He is!


Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

...Nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. 1 Timothy 1:12

1 comment:

*Kerstin* said...

Love you!
Hope you'll have a blessed and wonderful week!