28 February 2009

the land of the free and the home of the brave..

Sometimes there is such freedom in being an American.

For instance, just now while cleaning my house, the time came to take out the trash. I grabbed my key, and the various trash bags, and - although I almost went out in short sleeves - my conscience got the better of me and I put on a jacket.

The girl I passed while crossing the street had a slightly scandalized look [mixed with a knowing smirk] on her face. The reason?

In Germany, none but an American would ever dream of wearing flip flops outside in February.
I grinned the whole way home.

[postscript: I stand corrected. Many dream of wearing flip flops outside in Germany during the winter. Typically only Americans or perhaps the occasional Japanese actually attempt it!] :)

3 comments:

Dameria said...

I think it's rather brave to wear flip flops here in February! ;-)

andrea k. said...

don't worry.. it's not an every day occurrence! :)

Tamiko said...

Oh Annie. I would have to disagree with your last statement, and I am quite dissapointed by your statement!

"none but american..." I'd always dreamed of wearing my flip-flops in Germany all year long!