17 January 2014

happenstance.

i had the privilege to attend a week-long missions conference in southern california last week, and i came back refreshed and renewed and full of appreciation and gratitude for the little happenstances and particular goings-on which surround me. here are a few.

the morning frost on my windowpanes, and winter itself. it's gorgeous here, truly. i've got eyes; can i see it?
the unique humor and characteristics of each member God has appointed to my family. these people are the best.
the myriad instruments in our house, and all the people who play them in many different ways. it's a whirl of delight and inspiration.
the songs which are, for this season, flowing freely through my pen and voice. i write myself in knots and have to untangle it all again.
the friends and the greater community of believers to whom i belong. no, no, He has certainly not left us as orphans.
the ability to awaken before my alarm and calmly commit the day to my Lord, by the power of His indwelling Spirit. waking up was impossible even a month ago.
the Word, so living and active and piercing and purifying and strong and steadfast and pure; the power of fellowship around it.
the fireplace in my living room, which very nearly scorches me day and night as i linger in dangerous proximity to its brilliant warmth.
the hope and the calling and the expectation which belong to us who belong the Lord: to apprehend that for which we are apprehended.

"the work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and confidence forever." isaiah 32:17

No comments: