10 July 2008

brethren, let us love...

By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.
1 John 3: 16-19

This particular verse was a great matter of thought during a long, busy day at work today. For I encountered several believers and countless [likely] nonbelievers, and in several cases the latter "loved in deed" much better than the former. One particular group of older people came in, were very friendly [albeit rather needy in terms of service], and took an interest in my current situation. They asked if I was full-time at the restaurant, and I told them I was working for a couple months before heading back to Germany to finish my Bible College internship. At this they all smiled and proudly declared their accurate guess at my soul's position and Christian lifestyle. I thanked them for their business and well-wishes, and kept on working. Now, throughout my hard day's work, I received many very generous tips from my customers. Unfortunately, these rather vocal Christians ended up being a little less generous in deed than in word. Oh, I didn't mind so much about the sub-average tip; in fact, I expected that as much as they expected I was a Christian. But it spoke volumes to my heart; namely, this verse: "Let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."

I think no less of my believing customers; however, I pity them for the reward they've chosen to opt out of. I am one of several believers at work, but there are plenty of nonbelieving, rough-around-the-edges kind of people with whom I work. There are also a few believers in name who are often spoken of in a negative light, particularly concerning their work ethic [often low] and overall likeability [not high]. Brethren, if we are going to "love" in word and in tongue, we had better be ready to "love in deed and in truth" before and after our self-assertion. Actions really do speak louder than words.

If they don't see Christ in us, they may never see Him at all.

No comments: