22 July 2008

excerpts.

Quotes taken from An Old-Fashioned Girl, by Louisa May Alcott, written 1870.
[Perhaps, upon reading, you shall come to sympathize with me in fondness for this book, and enjoy its timeless wisdom and insight. -a.]

"Fashionable"
p. 12- That night she saw one of the new spectacles which have lately become the rage, and run for hundreds of nights, dazzling, exciting, and demoralizing the spectator by every allurement French ingenuity can invent, and American prodigality execute. Never mind what its name was, it was very gorgeous, very vulgar, and very fashionable; so, of course, it was much admired, and everyone went to see it.

"Rich"
p. 34- ...But he was a busy man, so intent on getting rich that he had no time to enjoy what he already possessed.

"Simplicity"
p. 42- "...The old fashion of simplicity is best for all of us. I don't want my Polly to be loved for her clothes, but for herself. The least of us have some influence in this big world; and perhaps my little girl can do some good by showing others that a contented heart and a happy face are better ornaments than any Paris can give her." -Mother.

"Young Men"
p. 171- Young men often often laugh at the sensible girls whom they secretly respect, and affect to admire the silly ones whom they secretly despise, because earnestness, intelligence, and womanly dignity are not the fashion.

"Sincerity"
p. 172- "Well, whatever you do, Will, don't have a great, costly church that takes so much money to build and support it that you have nothing to give away. I like the plain, old-fashioned churches, built for use, not show, where people met for hearty praying and preaching, and where everybody made their own music instead of listening to opera singers, as we do now. I don't care if the old churches were bare and cold, and the seats hard, there was real piety in them, and the sincerity of it was felt in the lives of the people. I don't want a religion that I put away with my Sunday clothes, and don't take out till the day comes round again; I want something to see and feel and live by day by day, and I hope you'll be one of the true ministers, who can teach by precept and example, how to get and keep it." -Polly. [emphasis mine]

"Service"
p. 172- "I am glad to give my best and brightest son to the service of God. I shall let my boys follow the guide that is in them, and only ask of them to use their gifts conscientiously, and be honest, useful men." -Father.

"Popularity"
p. 230- "My children, beware of popularity; it is a delusion and a snare; it puffeth up the heart of man, and especially of woman; it blindeth the eyes to faults; it exalteth unduly the humble powers of the victim; it is apt to be capricious, and just as one gets to liking the taste of this intoxicating draught, it suddenly faileth, and one is left gasping like a fish out of water," and Kate emphasized her speech by spearing a sardine with a penknife, and eating it with a groan. -Kate King, authoress.

1 comment:

*Kerstin* said...

hey any...
I MISS YOU!!!!!!
How are you doing? (And what are you doing)
Pray that you'll have a wonderful day today!!!
Love and hugs