15 July 2008

it's not business, it's personal.

It holds true that when we commit our way to the Lord, He is faithful to use us and to teach us amidst any circumstance or occupation. I was just praying this morning that the Lord would prepare me for what's ahead, so that I'd be useable, and be ready to learn whatever He had to teach me [thinking in somewhat long-range terms, i.e. the next 6 months]. Soon afterwards, I headed out the door for a full day at work.
This afternoon, an older gentleman who is a very regular customer, came by in his gruff sort of manner, and really had no idea what to order. So when he asked for my opinion, I readily suggested my new favorite sandwich, made with a few personal twists. His face brightened up, and he told me that it sounded good. I brought it to him; he ate it, loved it, and told me so. [This pretty much made my day; to be able to share a personal idea with someone, and have them like it, is really encouraging.] Then after his meal, he pulled me over to his table, and asked me to sit down for a minute.
He told me how he had been feeling pretty depressed when he came in just that half an hour earlier. "When I asked you for help and you gave it to me, it changed my whole day." With tears in his eyes, he thanked me for taking the time to help an old widower like himself. I was able to sit for a few moments and talk with him about simple things like bread-baking and the weather- but I know it meant the world to him. And my heart was full with the blessing of being the hands and feet of Jesus.
How often I breeze by the main objects of ministry [namely, People], in the name of "getting things done." And how often I neglect to realize that even daily business is simply one opportunity after another to share my Jesus with the ones He loves. For all our "doing" on His behalf, we mustn't forget one thing: that the Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. I Corinthians 13:3

2 comments:

dadrigal said...

annie - this is outstanding. You are an incredible writer, a wonderful daughter, and a wise-beyond-your-years follower of Jesus. I love you. DAD

andrea k. said...

my dad is the best dad.
ever.