05 December 2010

fam bam.

i love my family.

we had a family reunion this weekend. the Swansen Family Christmas Party, to be exact. and there were exactly zero Swansens in attendance!

it's my mom's-side-of-the-family party, and my grandma is one of the original cousins belonging to Grandpa & Grandma [August and Emma, aren't they sweet names??] Swansen.

my great-great-Gma Swansen was legit! i'm going to write a post about her soon. we got to hear the story of the family, and some of the times they went through, and hear how all of us various people were related to one another. my favorite part was when my mom's cousin read excerpts from Emma's diaries, which were primarily about her grand- [and great-grand and great-great-grand] children, with little bits about herself.

she loved the Lord so much!!!!! what an incredible family heritage i have! i was so blessed hearing how she trusted and honored and sought the Lord with her whole heart, and prayed fervently for her 5 daughters and 12 grandchildren and many many others. i know that i am who i am in part because of her prayers. one of my mom's cousins said afterwards, "it's almost shocking to realize just how many people your personal decisions affect. where you live, what you do for a living, who you marry, how you live your life: it all can change a family's history." makes me want to live wisely and humbly and godly. i want to produce much, good, lasting fruit, and leave a good heritage behind.

August and Emma were people with humble beginnings, as a milkman and a maid in Minneapolis, but their lives of faith are still bearing fruit. countless pastors, missionaries, and devoted Christians have been raised up among their offspring. i got to read a little bit for the whole family from Emma's diaries- prayers of faith and trust. my heart echoed her sentiments entirely!

saturday was jam-packed full of fun! it was my dear grandma's 80th birthday, so the Swansens got the celebrating off on the right foot. and boy, did we have good Swedish food. mmm. later that evening, my mom's brothers, one cousin, and my whole family [right on down to the nephews!] went out for yet another delicious meal, and an relaxing evening laughing by the fireplace. it was a very special day.

i can't believe i'll be leaving in a few months. i so treasure this year i've spent in close company with my family again. i know i'm a bit of a globetrotter, but MN will always be "home," and my family will always be my most favorite company. we're great! i hope i have many more seasons of living near them and seeing them regularly. cause you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family! you're stuck with what you've got! and i love mine. :)

No comments: